BDN reports “Superior Court Justice Roland A. Cole has been named chief justice of the Superior Court by Leigh I. Saufley, chief justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.
Cole replaces the former chief justice, Thomas Humphrey, who was sworn in last week by Gov. Paul LePage as an associate justice on the state supreme court.
“I am delighted to announce that Justice Roland A. Cole has agreed to serve as chief justice of the Superior Court effective June 10, 2015,” Saufley said Tuesday in a press release. “We are very fortunate that a judge with his skills and experience is willing to take on the responsibilities of the chief justice of the Superior Court.”
Cole was appointed to the District Court bench in 1981 by Gov. Joseph E. Brennan, the press release said. He was appointed to the Superior Court bench in 1986 by Brennan. Read more HERE.
Cole will earn $126,000 a year in his new post, a raise of $5,000 over what he earned as an associate justice.
Committee on Judicial Responsibility and Disability
MEMBERS AND STAFF
The Committee is composed of seven members who serve for one nonrenewable six-year term. Two of the members are judges (from the Superior, District, or Probate Courts), two are lawyers,and three are members of the public (including the current chairperson). The judicial members of the Committee are appointed by the Supreme Judicial Court, and the lawyer and public members are appointed by the Court upon the recommendation of the Governor. The current Committee Members are:
- Dr. Anne E. Pooler, Chairperson, until February 3, 2021
- Dr. Jill Gordon, until October 7, 2017
- Jennifer Nichols Ferguson, Esq., until December 12, 2017
- District Court Judge Peter J. Goranites, until August 3, 2017
- Superior Court Justice Paul A. Fritzsche, until August 31, 2018
- Robert E. Crowley, Esq., until August 31, 2018
- Jon P. Van Hoogenstyn, until August 31, 2018
The Committee has four alternate members (one Superior Court Justice, one District Court Judge, one lawyer, and one public member) who attend Committee meetings and vote when a regular member is absent or is disqualified from participating in a particular matter. The current Alternate Members are:
- Superior Court Justice Roland A. Cole, until August 31, 2018
- District Court Judge Patricia G. Worth, until August 3, 2017
- Charles W. Smith Jr., Esq., until August 31, 2018
- Christine S. Gianopoulos, M.P.A., until February 3, 2021
- Associate Justice Ellen A. Gorman, Maine Supreme Judicial Court
In addition, the Committee currently employs a part-time Executive Secretary, who is a lawyer, and an Administrative Assistant. They are:
Cabanne Howard, Executive Secretary
The “fix is in”! When will the Governor “fix” this?